Friday, September 13, 2013

A Random Walk Down Clark Street, Pt. 1

[This article was originally posted in 2009, during the middle of the Great Recession.]

I think it's now safe to say that we are in a recession. Despite the constant media references to soup lines and 1929, no one knows how long it's going to last, though, or how bad it's going to get.

To get a sense of how things are going in my neck of the woods, I took my camera and shot photos of one of the business corridors in my neighborhood, Clark Street in Andersonville from Ardmore Avenue on the north to Winona on the south.

I specifically wanted to document vacant buildings, so I could get a sense of the economic mood of the area.

Over the next few posts I'll present the pics, as well as my two cents about them...

Edgewater Medical Center sits at the point where Clark Street and Ashland Avenue intersect. It's been closed for several years now and its demise was pretty shady - the place went bankrupt around 2001 amidst allegations of massive health care fraud on the part of doctors and administrators. (Here are a couple of pieces of information about this: Source #1, Source #2)

Since then the place has just been sitting there. It's too big to just tear it down and put something else up, and it looks like no other hospital networks are interested in moving in. The row of houses on the right side of the third picture is where the parking lot used to be.

I went to EMC once as a patient - can't say I was impressed with the experience. Now that it's abandoned and old, I've always thought now it might be a good place to shoot a horror movie.












Go to Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4 of this essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment